Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Running Expos

In addition to running the Princess half marathon bright and early Sunday morning, I am also looking forward to the Fit for a Princess Expo held at the ESPN Wide World of Sports.  I love to shop and OMG there is so much running stuff to buy!  This is also where packet pick-up will be, so I have to go.  I am not even sure what I will be looking for, but I am sure I will find something!
My first expo was at packet pick-up for the Gasparilla 5K last year in Tampa and I was totally amazed by all the vendors and their running goods!  The first piece of running gear I bought was a pink running hat that said “Will run for wine”.  Perfect for me, right?  I bought it at the One More Mile booth.   
They have hilarious sayings on their items:
In my dreams, I’m a Kenyan
Slow miles are better than no miles
My sport is your sport’s punishment
I’m only doing this so I can post a picture on Facebook
… and on and on and on, they have so many good sayings! 
I am not a huge fan of running in a hat, but I have used mine a few times. It comes in especially handy on rainy days.
My first running purchase & my favorite GU gel packs
I also bought a pair of socks that said “It’s all about the finish”… because really it is.  I don’t run these races to win them, I just like being a part of the upbeat atmosphere, having fun and the competition I feel with myself to try and improve on different things each race.
My most recent running purchase was last month at the expo for the ING Miami half marathon.  I bought an Armpocket and I totally love it!  I use it for the longer runs and it holds my GU energy gel packs.  For the Princess half, I’ll use 3 packets of GU, one 15 minutes before the race, one at mile 5 and one at mile 10.  This worked well for my long a couple weeks back, so I will give it a go on race day.  My favorite GU flavors are Espresso Love and Jet Blackberry.
My Armpocket - love it!
What is some of your favorite running gear?  Do you use GU or other energy gels?

2 comments:

  1. I'm all about the GU - it's my "crack" when running long distances. I love the energy burst you can feel from it!

    I run with a really cool fanny pack! Haha, same idea as your arm band! I store my GU, iPhone, old drivers license (so I have ID), money and T-pass when in Boston. (Just in case I can't make it home)

    I have to say, I'm all about running in a hat. Rain or shine, it keeps the sweat out of my eyes.

    Can't wait to hear on this weekend goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought an arm pocket at that same running expo because I was with you and I have to say I love mine! It fits my Ipod and my Gu too. And my favorite part about it, it does not smell of sweat....I will be sporting my arm pocket this weekend too....

    ReplyDelete