Monday, February 11, 2013

Run Wild 5K & Zoo Miami

Saturday morning I took part in the Run Wild 5K held at Zoo Miami.
The zoo is only 15 minutes from my place, so participating was really a no brainer.
I did this race last year and I just love how the course takes you through the zoo! 
I also really like that included in the $25 race fee you are able to visit the zoo for free on Saturday!

I must say though, that packet pick-up on Saturday morning was absolute chaos.  I waited in line 40 minutes before one of the organizers said that if we wanted to run without our numbers we could since they were going to be starting the race any minute. 
The race was suppose to start at 8am, but did not start until 8:20am.
Ok, no big deal, I just ran without a number because I really didn't care what my time was.
The run was fine and it was a beautiful, kind of cool morning.  Plus we saw all kinds of animals.
Definitely a unique, fun run.
Cute, little medal:

This race does have great sponsors who give out lots of free stuff at the finish line festival.
The most unique thing I have ever received at a race...
These are given out by a local dentist.  I totally needed a new toothbrush, so I was super excited to get this!  I also picked up the usual banana & apple, some yogurt with a cereal mix-in, chapstick, water bottle and a smoothie.  Random mix of goodies to say the least.

The idea of this race is a great one, it just needs to get more organized!
******
After heading home to shower and nap :)  I went back to the zoo around 3:30 Saturday afternoon to walk around and take pictures.  I was there for about an hour and a half which was the perfect amount of time for a quick but casual visit. 
If you are ever looking for things to do in the Miami area, the Zoo is definitely worth checking out!

black bear
elephants

rhino
lion!

lion enclosure

doing what kitties do best
kitty!

onager, or wild ass


random pathway
african hunting dog

dromedary camel

hyenna
australian singing dog

koala
emu
flamingos - obviously, it is florida :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I love the little medal, that's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I've never been to Miami Zoo?! Crazy. Sounds like a fun little race, and what a BARGAIN!

    ReplyDelete