Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

Where were you on September 11, 2001?
I do not believe there is any more memorable day in the history of my generation.  
Here is my story...
On September 11, 2001 I was working at a financial services company in Boston.  It was located on the 26th floor of One International Place... if you are looking at the skyline of Boston from the airport, it is the tallest building you will see.  
That morning I had arrived to the building in time for a 7am aerobics class.  There was a gym in my building where I took classes and then got ready for work.  I was particularly happy that day because I was going to a computer software training class instead of to work!
After getting ready at the gym, I remember walking through the Financial District thinking this was a perfect fall morning.  Crisp weather, bluer than blue skies and bright sunshine.  I even remember what I was wearing, black capris, sandals, a green top with a white tank top... the weather was warm enough that day in Boston for sandals!  I stopped at Starbucks on the way to training and got a latte and a piece of pumpkin bread (it was fall after all!) and then I headed to the training.
Since I was not sitting at my desk that day, I was not listening to the radio like I normally would have been.  At about 9:45am I went to the ladies room and as I was in the stall I heard some weird sounding lady say "Someone, like uh, drove a plane into the Pentagon".  She sounded like a lunatic and I thought to myself "What a freaking crazy lady".  I went back to the training room and relayed to my colleague what I had just heard.  We both rolled our eyes.
About 45 minutes later a woman stuck her head into our room and said "The World Trade Center has collapsed and they are evacuating all tall buildings on the East Coast.  We need to leave now". 
Since I was not in my regular building I was only on the 4th floor so I didn't need to walk down that many stairs.  My colleague and I were so confused as to what was going on, we just had no idea.  She actually thought the World Trade Center that had collapsed was the huge convention center with the same name down on Boston Harbor.  She said to me "Do you want to go see?".   I was like "No, I think they are talking about New York".
People were just pouring out of buildings in Boston and heading for a "safer" place.  We ended up walking to my colleague's place in Brookline and watched TV for the rest of the day.  She thought it may be the work of Osama Bin Laden.  My thought.... who the f*ck is that?  I had never heard that name before.
As a result of leaving work on 9/11, the software training was rescheduled for the week after Thanksgiving in NYC.  My colleague and I were able to visit Ground Zero while we were there.  The amount of destruction that we saw over two months later was indescribable.  I can not even begin to fathom what it was like on that day.
Thinking back, it kind of gives me heebies, geebies to think that those repulsive terrorists flew by my building as I was getting ready for work that day.
Also, the colleague I was with on that day does contract work as a private investigator.  After 9/11 she investigated Logan Airport, where of course two of the hijacked flights took off from.  She couldn't tell anyone what her assignment was until about a year or so after it was completed.  I did not want to pry for too much information there.
My thoughts are with the families who lost someone on that day.  
September 11, 2001 is a day I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment