Monday, June 20, 2011

Super Summer Sangria


So I decided to add a “Recipes” tab to my blog.  I have a love/hate relationship with cooking.
I love to do it, but I hate that I get home at 7pm at night and do not really have a whole lotta time to get it done.  I do try and cook as much as possible on the weekends and I love packaging up the leftovers to freeze for quick and easy meals during the week.
I will try and fill the “Recipes” tab with recipes I think you would find interesting.  If there are any recipes you want to share, please email them to me!  I am always looking for new ideas.

So for my first recipe, I concocted a delicious & refreshing White Sangria!  About a week ago, I opened a bottle of white wine and didn’t really like it.  Being a true boozer there was no way I was going to dump a whole bottle of wine down the kitchen sink.  Instead, I thought I would be able to make Sangria from it.  I looked online for possible recipes…
Most had other liquors added to the wine – I just wanted a light, refreshing drink.
Some called for a CUP of sugar – this is in addition to all the sugars already in wine, no thanks.
Others recommended a whole liter of club soda – that sounds like a lot of belly filler and I just want my belly full of the wine and fruit!

Here's what I came up with:
Pour one bottle of white wine into a pitcher (I think sauvignon blanc works the best, but it is really up to your personal tastes)
½ of one orange – squeeze the juice into the pitcher, then slice up the orange and add to pitcher
½ of one lime – squeeze the juice into the pitcher, then slice up the lime and add to pitcher
Almost ¼ cup of honey – I read here that in most recipes you can substitute sugar with half the amount of honey.  Cool fact, no?
2 cups of Club Soda
Stir it up and serve in glasses with ice.
I didn’t add ice to the pitcher of sangria because I didn’t want to water down the taste.  In fact, the next day it tasted even better once the fruit and the juices had the chance to soak in even more.

Oh, and look what came in the mail today...

Man, I sure wish I had a glass of my sangria to enjoy as I read up on Harry & Pippa.
On this Summer Solstice Eve, I hope it is a great night!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I don't really like wine, but bought a bottle for a recipe... perfect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, how cute would it be if Harry and Pippa got married?? My step-uncle and step-aunt married a set of siblings. It gets confusing. I think that makes my cousin our cousin twice? I don't know. It is a crazy family tree!

    ReplyDelete