Friday, July 22, 2011

Favorite Thing Friday


One of my favorite things when planning for an upcoming race is receiving the Final Race Instructions!  This week I received them for the Beach to Beacon 10K I will be running on August 6th in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

Of course I read them word for word, but since I will be running with my sister, brother-in-law, uncle and cousin (who all ran this last year), I figure I will just let them lead me around.
This is a popular race not only in Maine, but for people all over the world.  Like, even the Kenyans and the Ethiopians are going to be running.  They’ll be competing for the prize money.  I will get a t-shirt :)  There were 7,000 runners who signed up back in March and the race sold out in 8 minutes.  I am so glad my family all got in!
The race was started 14 years ago by Joan Benoit Samuelson (Cape Elizabeth resident & 1984 gold medalist in the women’s first Olympic marathon) and the race director is Dave McGillivray of Boston Marathon race director fame. 
Part of me wishes I could watch the elites run… I thought it was so exciting at the Boston marathon, but I am excited to run it myself.  This will be my first 10K – automatic PR! 
I just hope it cools off a little up there in the next few weeks.  The temperature in Cape Elizabeth today is 98 degrees, but feels like 100.  That is just crazy-talk.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree!! I LOVE final instructions. I keep waiting for us to get them from Disneyland. I want to know my number!! I want to study every tiny little detail NOW NOW NOW!!!

    I'd also like to see elites run - and not just when they are on the out and back part of a race I'm in. They just fascinate me!

    Ooh, first 10K. Fun -- I hope you have a great time ... it's coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete