Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pineapple and Shrimp Skewers

Here is a delicious recipe I got from the free wine magazine, GRAPE, that you can pick up at Publix supermarkets.  The recipe actually calls for scallops, not shrimp, but I have made it both ways and it is tasty.  I usually have shrimp on hand so here we go with shrimp…

Ingredients
2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup sniped cilantro
2 small green or red jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped (I actually just use a few shakes of red pepper flakes and that brings enough heat for me)
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup canola oil
Medium shrimp, peeled* - original recipe calls for 16 Sea Scallops (about 1½ pounds)
Pineapple chunks*
*The amount you use of these two ingredients just depends on how many people you are feeding.
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into chunks
If I am eating by myself I usually make two skewers and use half of the ingredients above… except for the avocado, I will use a whole:)

In a small bowl combine lime peel, lime juice, cilantro, jalapenos, sugar, salt and black pepper.


Slowly whisk in oil until combined; set aside.

In a large bowl combine shrimp and pineapple.  Toss with 2 tablespoons of the lime juice mixture.  Let stand for 15 minutes.

Add the avocado chunks to the rest of the lime juice mixture

Thread the skewers with the shrimp and pineapple.  The recipe suggests you cook these on the grill, but since I live in an apartment, and am a girl, I do not own a grill.  However, a good alternative for me has been the Le Creuset cast iron grill pan (awesome! love it!).  So throw those skewers on there until they are nice and hot!

You can serve the skewers with the avocados on the side or perhaps serve over rice.
This time, I just took the cooked shrimp and pineapple and half of the avocado and mixed it together in one bowl, delicious!

I’ll took the other skewer and combined it with the rest of the avocado and put it in the freezer for another time.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment